Are you looking for a diet plan that can help you lose weight and still eat delicious food? Well, there is one diet that can help you achieve that: Beverly Hills diet. It is originally a diet created by Judy Mazel. She owns a weight loss clinic and decided to make a best-seller book way back in 1981. The funny thing was she is not a dietician nor she studied medicine. All the things that you will find in her book are her own experience and knowledge of how she was able to lose 72 pounds.
To put it simply, the Beverly Hills diet requires you to eat only fruits for 35 days. Once that is over, you need to focus on making sure that you do not eat foods that comprise of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Based on the book and Mazel herself, you will lose up to 15 pounds in just 5 weeks. Then you need to continue doing this until you get your desired body type.
In this article, you will learn about the new and updated version of this popular diet, and discover if it is really healthy for you.
Beverly Hills Diet: Foods That You Can Eat
Of course, you will certainly be encouraged to try this diet, especially if you really want to get remove excess body weight from your body. If the answer to that is yes, then you should know that in order to maximize the benefits that you can get from this diet, you need to take note of the food you are allowed to eat during the said weight loss plan.
As mentioned, you will be focusing on eating fruits for 35 days. Say, on the first day, you decided to eat strawberries and grapes. The week after that, you will eat watermelon and banana. The good thing about this is that there are a lot of fruits that you can eat so you can eat different fruits per day.
This is what the original version tells you to do. But in the updated version, there are days wherein you are allowed to eat protein and some cheat days.
According to Mazel, once you are able to survive the 35 days of eating only fruits, you will then focus eating on 4 types of food:
You are still required to eat fruits after. But, you must take note that when you decide to do this, you must not combine it with another food. The recommended meal to do this is to eat an enzymatic fruit for breakfast. But what are enzymatic fruits? These are persimmon, pineapple, apricot, and prune. Take note that you need to have a 1-hour difference or break before you eat another type of fruit.
You are allowed to eat protein-rich foods. But you should not mix it with fat. If you have decided to eat protein, it should take 80% of the food that you will eat for the rest of the day.
If you are craving for carbohydrate-rich foods, you can eat these as well. You can combine it with fat. However, you are not allowed to mix it with protein.
Alcoholic beverages are allowed in this diet. Just remember that spirits and beers are under carbohydrates whereas white and red wines are fruits. Champagne can be mixed with all types of food as it is neutral.
The good news is that there are no restricted portions of this diet. You can eat as many of these food types as you want as long as you follow its rules.
In addition, you are not allowed to eat artificial butter products, margarine, non-dairy creamer, artificial sweeteners, and additives. These might give you digestive problems.
Just like in any type of diet, Beverly Hills diet has its own set of disadvantages as well. If you are undecided whether you should go for it or not, you need to see these first:
- Following a strict fruit diet is not easy, especially when you are used to eating different kinds of food. There will certainly be days where you will think if it is worth it or not.
- Once you are able to surpass the 5 weeks of strict fruit diet, you might be overwhelmed when you are allowed to eat unlimited portions of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Take note that it doesn’t mean that you are 100% free from this point as you still need to make sure that you are not mixing the wrong food choices. This might be the next challenge that you will face.
- Fruit haters will not survive this diet. So if you do not have what it takes to love fruit for 5 weeks, do not try this diet. Also, if you are diabetic, eating only fruits for weeks can have an impact on fructose levels.
- Although the first phase of the diet (focusing on fruits) can be easy to buy and prepare, you might have a hard time buying food for the second phase. This might even give you meal planning issues.
- While following this diet, you still need to exercise. So you are not just depending on the food that you eat but also the exercise that you will be doing to lose weight.
- The biggest problem that you might encounter in this diet, which can actually answer the question of whether it is healthy or not, is that you will not get enough nutrients. But this is only during the first phase. Eating only fruits for 5 weeks can give you low nutrients that might be bad for your body. But once you are able to surpass this, then you can get back the nutrients and minerals that your body needs.
- On the brighter side, there are advantages to this type of diet. If you are vegan or vegetarian, you can eat your normal protein-rich foods such as tofu. Just be sure that you will not combine it with carbohydrates. It is also gluten-free and low-fat that can be a big yes for some people.